Tuesday, March 2, 2010

we could be walking around the zoo, with the sun shining down over me and you


(Rory and I pretending to be local in Mahabaleshwar)

I just had my final Active English session.
It's odd to think that the seven children I taught together with Rory will go on into the big bad world with a vague memory of two girls trying to teach them the verb 'to be', playing silly colour games and singing the hokey pokey too loudly and clearly for them to do anything but laugh at the sight of it.
We tried to teach them about our countries of origin, but ended up focusing on the difference between continents and countries and dancing whilst they looked on, bemused. It was worrying to see them look so lost with the map of the world, and I hope our little diagrams of clogs, hamburgers and the first man on the moon will one day help them in life.
From this point on, we'll be spending our Tuesdays workshopping about teaching English as a foreign language, which sounds considerably less exciting than attempting to captivate the imaginations of Sonali, Sandeep, Sanjeevni, Priyanka, Tiranbul and the various others that occasionally attended.
I think that every time I ride or walk by Paud School, I will see the playground filled with small circles of MUWCI and Paud students, trying to communicate ideas and grammar for an hour. Here's to next year and a new batch of first years and fifth graders.
x

No comments:

Post a Comment