Sunday, April 4, 2010

light squares and bodies are all you see.


(Laura Marling, High Spirits Cafe, Pune, last November/December?)

Het is weer een tijdje geleden sinds ik in het nederlands heb geschreven. Dat komt waarschijnlijk door de lack of Dutch spoken on campus, en mijn incapability om de juiste lidwoorden te gebruiken (een duidelijke hint dat ik niet helemaal door en door nederlands ben, helaas). Thuis gebruikte ik altijd engelse woorden in mijn nederlands (and also the other way around, it must be said), en dat is alleen maar erger geworden.
Maar goed. Taalkundig fail aside, ik heb dit weekend niet veel uitgevoerd. Het was Pasen, the end of mocks for second years, and I hosted a tea party for a rather late celebration of my birthday.
My art exhibition has been up for about a week and a half now, and I really ought to get pictures of it. Work is starting to build up and pile around me (my room is now full of paper. I feel like I'm in the Science of Sleep.)
I saw the destruction the fire wrecked in the biodiversity on Saturday, it is incredible. The land goes from green to ash grey, and there is almost nothing left. It is strangely beautiful in its dead state.
En even terug naar nederlands. Lenn en ik hebben dit weekend gehoord dat we first years hebben! Tot nu toe nog maar een, maar hopelijk verandert dat deze week.
Het wordt hier een beetje vreemd, want we hebben nog maar veertig dagen met onze tweede jaars en huidige kamergenoten. The suspense of who is rooming with who is building up, en iedereen bereidt zich voor om naar universiteit te gaan, gedag te zeggen en naar huis te gaan.
I think this about captures the spirit:

1 comment:

  1. Dear Sophie!

    First of all, please forgive my bad English: I am writing from a very little village in Spain, looking for blogs and other diaries of UWC-Alumni in the Internet, while I am packing my own luggage for the two years I am going to spend at Red Cross Nordic UWC, in Norway. I just want to thank you for sharing your experiences, thoughts and photos (I like them very much, by the way). I'll try to keep my own blog (unfortunately in Spanish) updated!

    Best wishes from Puentetoma, and who knows? Maybe we'll meet someday (the strangest things happen in the UWC-World, I already know that!).

    Lea.

    ReplyDelete