Tuesday, April 20, 2010

unmade beds #54 (stitching time)








This was my site specific installation for Art a couple of weeks back. The inspiration theme was 'Never', so I took it in the direction of never growing up or old. It evolved into a white room (white being symbolic for purity and clean slates) with skeleton flowers (these could also be seen as modern, futuristic ones, or as the remnants of a past).
The floor was half styrofoam and flour, half mattresses and scraps of (white) cloth. I wanted to create a space that stood outside of the space of time (this comes from the idea that arose from a discussion I had with a coyear here, about time being another form of space), that could be ageless, as it were. The mattresses and styrofoam were my attempts to landscape the floor, as I wanted the installation to be tactile and comfortable. The flour provided some element of movement in the room, as it changed when people walked over it. It also meant that people could not leave without taking some with them, tying in to the idea of memories and time forever interacting with the present and future.
The title comes from the idea of dreaming being a means through which one can escape what my English teacher calls 'the tyranny of time'. It also links to the saying 'a stitch in time saves nine', which is all about doing things well the first time around. Essentially, I was interested in creating a space through my art, rather than putting my art in a space, and about looking at the idea of time.

Any queries, comments or things in general? Email me or leave a comment :)

1 comment: